Saturday, May 06, 2006

Platonic friendship

Do you all truly believe in the existence of platonic friendships?

Why am I asking the question out of the blue? Nope, nothing's happening just that I'm a little upset with the comments my mum made. She's someone who believes -110% in platonic friendships. I am just the exact opposite of her. I believe 110% that true friendship can exist between 2 ppl of the opposite sex.

Let me quote my mum, "看谁比较适合就跟他做朋友咯。" To translate, she meant for me to choose the guy whom I think is most suitable for me and get together with that guy. I'm utterly speechless. What prompt her to say this is because I've got a couple of really close guy friends whom I hang around with quite a bit and I do go out with them alone at times. She has always been asking a lot of questions about these friends of mine. I know what she's driving at and will always give her politically correct answers. But when she made the above comment tonight, itz really the last straw. I believe itz certainly out of concern for me and stuff, but what is she worried about? That I'll decide to remain single always or that I'll be left on the shelf?

What is wrong with going out with guy friends for meals, coffee and getting free rides with there being no hidden agendas? We share a common understanding and the line is pretty clearly drawn. They often offer me advice from a different viewpoint as my girlfriends and I find that really helpful. So I really don't understand my mum. No matter how hard I try explaining to her about being just friends with the guys, she doesn't get it.

I know and do have friends who believe that platonic friendship is non-existent. When someone is nice to them, they'll often interpret it as that person is interested in them. I just think that there're ppl out there who're really really nice individuals. I will never doubt a guy's motive for being nice until he actually puts it plainly across that he even have the slightest interest in being more than just friends. I really value all my friendships, so I won't do anything nor harbour any thoughts that could jeopardise any friendship in any manner.

Mum's comment tonight really has no basis and I asked her not to make such baseless and unwarranted comments again. But I know this same whole issue will surface again some time down the road.

So anyone out there who's like me and believes 110% in platonic friendship?

No comments: