Saturday, May 20, 2006

Feeling drained

I underestimated the exercise... or perhaps, I overestimated my own abilities.

As part of an interview, I had to do a valuation exercise of a particular company picked by my interviewer. Was suppose to start at 11am, but started only at 3pm because my interviewer got caught up somewhere. I had woken up at 7am, wanting to do some research and preparation before hand. But frankly I don't know where to start. Google was helpful, but still not sufficient. I was suppose to only take 4 hrs, but instead I took about 6.5 hrs. Its way way over the time given, so I know its a goner. Moreover, towards the end of the report, I just wrote rubbish. I was running out of time, and was feeling rather drained.

But as I did the report, it occurred to me that this really is what I want to do. Analysis and valuation of companies. Its really tedious, at least to me, but I enjoyed the process. Right now I know the theory, but I don't know the practical aspects of things. The report that I wrote, I ain't even sure if that is the right format that the interviewer is looking for. I just did what I knew. Now that its been submitted, all I can do is wait for some comments from them. I know I won't be offered the job, because I recognised my own inadequacies along the way. But it was a fun and great learning process for me.

Now, to continue trying for corporate finance roles... hoping that someday, some firm will hire me.

No comments: