Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Did I do things right?

The 2 weeks wait is finally over. My manager's back from reservist, so I decided to get in touch with him again. A few days back, I had told PS that I'm going to talk to him and officially put the request through, give them a lag time of 2 weeks, before I start doing anything on my own. Indeed, I kept to what I have said, and went back to the office specially to speak to my manager. But after its done, I start asking myself if that was the right thing to do and could there have been a better way to go about it?

Why the hint of regret over my actions? I thought that I might have made things go out of hand. My manager was nice enough to go through all the possible questions that might follow this request, in a bid to pre-empt whatever that could happen next. But he himself was very unsure for this is the first time a junior staff has made such a request. I guess I have to be the most troublesome staff ever. From what he said, I gathered that things don't look too good. He's still going to help me in whatever ways he can but, even he himself don't know where to start. I was asked, should my request not be met, what am I going to do? It sounded as though I might have to leave the firm should my request not be met. Somewhat like being black-marked for making such a request? Resign or continue hanging around? I really have no idea either. I could and should have just tried sending in applications overseas on my own without going through the firm. Save me from being singled-out by the firm and leaving the firm quietly should I be accepted somewhere else would be preferred. But too late, been there done that. There's no turning back now. Just hope that things will not be as bad as I think they are.

Another thing is that, since I have made the formal request, should they be able to offer me something, I do not have the liberty to reject already. Ya, so I've got one foot in and there's really no turning me back. Sounds like I am still thinking about my decision to leave. Perhaps its the fear of losing things that I have/might have that makes me think twice. Everything's so uncertain that I don't know what factors to consider even. But Uncle tim's right, the best decision is the one that I have made and I believe I will be guided to make the right one.

No comments: