Sunday, March 19, 2006

Beliefs

9 mths back, I began my journey with God. I do not think that I have made tremendous progression, but I do know that this is the path I have choosen to take, regardless of how ardous it might be because of the oppostion from my parents who're staunch Buddhists.

I've always held a very open mind towards religion because I feel that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. The only time I truly believed in Buddhism was when my grandparents passed away. I believe because I wanted the rituals, that were meant to pave a smooth journey for them in the next phase of their lives, to hold true.

Things changed 9 months back. I suffered a setback that plunged me into an abyss for the longest time ever. I suffered from depression, but was blessed enough to have the relentless support from family and friends to tide me through that dark period of my life. At that point in time, what I needed was peace, inner peace. I asked my Christian friends to let me tag along with them to Church and also found out more about the religion from them. The weekly mass/service I attended then allowed me to find the peace I seek through God. Someone told me that no matter what belief it might be, I can find peace given my state of my mind then. Why do I need to start believing in something different? Perhaps that was true, but somehow, the events that took place brought me to God to find peace through Him. Hence, the decision to choose to walk the journey with Him.

The Christain faith itself is divided into several factions. I've visited churches of the various factions, and finally settled with Catholicism. It is where I feel most comfortable in, no doubt, largely attributable to J. Just last night, I was asked to join the mass at the Church Camp. I observed one of the sharing sessions and the questions posed were really food for thought. Heard of the song 'Perfect' by Simple Plan? Who is the 1st person who comes to mind when listening to the song? Strangely and I still don't know why he was the 1st person who came to mind.

Knowing that I have been going to mass for some time already, D told me that if I feel ready, I can go before the altar and be blessed. My mind then raced. The question that crossed my mind was more about my parents' reactions (mum thought I had stopped going to Church) than whether I was ready. I suppose I felt ready some time ago. Last night, was then the 1st time I went up to the altar to be blessed by the Priest. I felt that I had taken another baby step. =)

No comments: