Sunday, May 20, 2007

The order of the Catechumens

Having been attending mass for over a year, today's one was exceptionally different, because of the meaning it held. Today's Rites of Acceptance marks the first of several rites I'll be going through as I journey down this road of Faith.

I felt really blessed and happy to be called and be able to answer God's call. When the sponsors signed the cross for us, I felt that it gave me a whole new meaning to Christian life. Previously, I had attended mass regularly simply for the sake of attending due to my lack of understanding. The months of RCIA thus far have certainly deepened my understanding of the religion. After the signing of the cross, I felt a deepening of relationship with Christ and a compelling need to live the Christian way of life to be a good role model for others. However, each step that I take to be closer to Christ raises the fear in me - the fear of being different from my family (my family's religion is taoism). When I was praising the Lord, tears welled up in my eyes as I wished that my family was there with me. I believe I have long accepted Christ, but to do it in this official manner, it adds a different meaning to it all.

This is but just the beginning of a long and arduous journey. I still don't feel that I have the strength to go through with baptism without my family despite my mum having told me that she's fine with whatever religion I choose for she can't be there with me forever, and ultimately its a choice that I have to make for myself. So long as I'm happy, she won't be against it. But its easier said then done. I truly love my family for their openness and understanding and I sincerely hope that one day, they too will hear God's calling and answer to that call.

No comments: