Saturday, January 06, 2007

Enjoyin' the sea breeze

Thought of doin somethin last nite, but somethin happened, or rather din happened, that got me rather fed-up, disappointed and upset. Luckily, SX, the fren who never fails to be always there for me, came out to meet me despite the call only at the eleventh hour. Din wanna stay in an enclosed area, we got our ice blended mocha and headed to sit by the beach instead.

We wonder just what is wrong with ppl of our generation. We've all probably been in the workforce for only 2-3 yrs, but yet, most of us are seeking an escape route out of this workforce. Also, it seems that none of us have an answer to the question, "what do u want in life"? Most of my frens are in the profession they are in simply because of the monetary rewards despite the endless complains that they are not happy with whatever they are doing. The "kiasi" syndrome seems to be the most predominant trait of most. Ppl just fear venturing out of their comfort zone. The thought of going back to school for another couple of years to get the necessary qualifications in order to pursue their interests seem to be something worse then death. But we've still got to work for several decades. What is these couple of yrs compared to the couple of decades. Personally, I can understand the fear for I have had to overcome it to take the step I took. In fact, I am one of the guilty ones who have planned my own escape route.

Have we been brought up in such comfortable and sheltered environments that we can't deal with the harshness of the work environment? If so, then what's going to happen to the future generations whose lives have been a whole lot better. Does this have to do with the education system in SG, which had always focused on rote learning (monkey-see, monkey-do kind), rather then developing us to think for ourselves, and to be concerned with issues beyond the textbooks.

So, do I know what I want then? I always thought I knew until I ventured out and realised that its only pseudo greener pastures out there. Nothing real, nothing tangible. But I don't regret the decision I made for I know I have tried and found out for myself that its not what I am truely looking for. Many ppl are remaining where they are and thinking damn hard, will that be what I want? U'll never know till you try. Whatever the decision made, sacrificies are bound to be aplenty. I'm still coming to terms with the pay differential, which has just widened given that my peers from my ex-firm got an increment. If I were still there, I probably would say, "so what if I get so much money? I ain't happy with what I'm doing." But now that I'm out, I say, "Ahhhh, my heart pains at the amount of money I have given up!!" From here, I conclude that I am not someone who can be contended with what I have. LoL.

I don't supposed there will be any workable solutions. We've all been moulded to be like this. Kinda wishy-washy, only complaining non-stop and not doing anything about it. I wished I had a solution too.. then not only can I help myself, I could help my frens out there who're all in the same boat.

Something really farni happened tho, while we we were enjoying our conversation. Some 'little bois' actually tried to pick us up. This tickled the both of us hard. We concluded that they must be really bored but nonetheless, an unspoken compliment to the both of us for looking youthful. LoL.

SX, thanks for keeping me company. U're such a sweet fren. Well, work's gonna be really busy for you and I know very well the kind of mental stress u're facing. But I also know that u'll be able to handle all the stress and work coming your way. You will be guided through everything. =)

No comments: