Sunday, November 26, 2006

Clubbing, Cantopub style?

Had been working hard the past weeks, hence, decided to head out for a drink with my ex-colleagues. The newest addition to the night scene - St James Power Station. Thought it would be interesting to check that out. They had to work till 11-ish, so we met up pretty late. Got there way earlier then them and 'floated' ard like a lost soul. It was my first time there and I don't really know where to go. There're a couple of different themed rooms there. We went to Dragonfly, apparently the more favoured place by many. While queueing to enter, both of them told me that they don't tink I will like the place. Hmm... I wonder why...

To my shock, we bumped into a whole group of my ex-colleagues from the same CG, including the managers! I really am very surprised. I never knew they were this close that they would go clubbing together! Well, neways, back to the place. It was really really packed. The crowd was obviously the more matured group, with a lot of uncles and aunties and those lao bengs with tattoos all over their bodies! When the performance started, I couldn't help myself and laughed non-stop. They sang CHINESE oldies!! Never been to a club where the music was Chinese oldies. I had saw that on tv when they were advertising the place, but to be there and watching and hearing it live, really, is very different. Sylvester, the Singapore Idol 1 first runner-up performs there as well. He's one of the 2 who sings slightly more pop and hip songs like those by Jay Chou. The other guy, who's rather good-looking sings songs that are more rock. Other than the 2 of them, I think the performances aren't anything to scream about. I even felt that some of the performances were kinda sleazy, as though you were in a nightclub. It felt more like attending a Chinese concert rather than clubbing. The revival of the Cantopubs? LoL.

We din check out the other rooms. It was just too interesting to watch the performances. LoL. According to my friends, they sing the same songs everytime. If that's the case, then I think its really boring. I wouldn't want to go back after being there once. The other themed rooms include a Jazz, R&B... wouldn't mind checking these out the next time round. My friend asked me, "Is this too chee-na for you?" Erm.. I never knew I came across as someone who's an English potato to her. Haha.. Frankly it wasn't that it was too chee-na for me. That's not an issue. In fact, I think I know more of the songs sang as compared to her. Besides chinese, there were cantonese rock songs by the likes of Beyond too. I would think its worth a visit, just to experience something very different as compared to the mainstream clubs/pubs. I would definitely be going back there again, but to the other themed rooms instead.

No comments: