Saturday, June 17, 2006

Almost 10 years


It all began 11 years back when this group of gals first got to know one another. Through the acitivities they engaged in, they grew closer by the day. However, their friendship stopped short after graduation.

One day, a couple of them met up again, by chance, at a not so happy occassion - the funeral of a common friend, 2 years their junior. It struck them hard that this shouldn't be happening. They shouldn't be meeting each other only at a funeral. This sparked the 1st gathering 8 years after graduation.

When I first got the msg about the gathering, I was apprehensive. Its been 8 years since I last spoke to some of them. Will we still have anything to talk about? Will the gathering be filled with awkward silences? Nonetheless, I agreed to go for the gathering readily, because, I really wished to see this group of friends and find out how each and everyone of them is getting on.

I got to the gathering late because I was held up at work. This resulted in another friend of mine not going for the gatherin, because I was her only point of contact. So sad. She's the one whom I really want to meet up with and know how she's gettin on. The turnout wasn't too bad, 9 of us. We were busy exchanging contacts and finding out what everyone is doing at the moment. Of course, we also shared all the latest gossips we know of. I think I have about the lousiest memory among them all. They were mentioning names and incidents that happened back in high school days, while I sat there staring blankly at them all.

A lot of things ran through my head as the gathering wore-on. Lines were visible on the faces of some of them. We're really getting older. A couple of them have grown 'prosperous' too. Most importantly, they all seem contended with their lives and know what they want while I'm nothing close to that. I'm still at a complete loss of what I want out of my life. Things still seem very messy.

It was indeed a wonderful gathering. Will this be the kind of one-off thing again, or will gatherings ensue??

No comments: