Sunday, October 01, 2006

Greener Pastures

During this year's peak, the 3 of us often met up for drinks and chill-out sessions. We were and they still are, sick and tired of the work. After I left P, the 3 of us haven't got together. Hence, on Friday, we agreed to go roller-blading! Got SX to joined us as well. Due to work commitments, we only managed to meet up at 11pm. Luckily, I got to use the car. Its always so fun and carefree when I'm with this bunch of people. For once, I don't have to watch my words nor be wary of how my actions will be interpreted and read. I can be who I really am.

From what they tell me, life in P for them is really sucky, maybe save for 1. They're still hanging there simply because they do not know what exactly they want for a career. We have concluded and we all know for a fact that life in P is so sheltered and comfortable as compared to the REAL world out there. Also, its a job that will be protected even when there's an economy downturn. There's no need to worry about protecting your rice bowl. The pay is relatively attractive and allows one to lead a comfy life. After about 5-6 years, when pay is in the 5's region, find a job in the commercial sector where they'll mark-up your last drawn salary by a certain percentage, be able to knock-off on time, not having to worry about unfinished work after office hours and over the weekends.. life will just be simple from then on. Frankly, it is only after I've left that this thought struck me SO hard. I had given up this simplicity to be out there, competing with a whole horde of other people, just to get myself recognised and move up the corporate ladder. Indeed, it is much more challenging and interesting, but at the same time, it is 10000x more tiring and draining. I must be mad to have done so.

So much for the all famous saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side." Yep, indeed, it always SEEMS greener, that is before you hop over to the other side and experience 1st hand what its like.

I'm tellin myself to perservere in there. I like some parts of my job, but on the hand, I hate bits of it too. Everyday, without fail, there seems to be something out of the blue that will either make me cry or laugh out loud. Just on Fri, something screwed up at work, through no fault of mine, and I spent an entire hour just trying to get in touch with some people to seek an explanation, an explanation that didn't explain how things turned out that way. So, wasted an hour and came to no conclusion. Conclusion came only after I had left the office. My heart sank when I thought "shucks, I need to make my way back to the office". It was already 8pm then and I have no wish to spend my Fri evening in the office. Luckily, my boss said I don't have to go back should I be confident of what I had sent out earlier in the day. I could just inform the other party over the phone. Right, I wasn't really thinking str8 then cos in my head I only knew that I wanted to go home. I confidently told my boss that I am 101% confident of the document sent out earlier, and with that I made my way home. Thinking back now, keeping my fingers crossed now that nothing will happen when I go back to the office tomorrow. But I do know that I am really fed-up with the party that screwed things up for us all. They had gone home at 6 odd, leaving people like me hanging around till 8 waiting to clean up the mess they created. But this taught me one thing, trust only myself.

No comments: