Saturday, April 07, 2007

"Home" in London - Part 2

CHAMONIX


After we left Provence, it was an 8-hr train ride to Chamonix-Mont Blanc. I love this place with the snow-capped mountains!! Its cold here, but not the windy kinda cold, but the icy kind.. much prefer it over the winds.. YF wanted to take this world's highest cable car, up 3,842m, where one can then see the French, Swiss and Italian Alps and so we went. We were the only 2 who looked completely out of place because everyone else were all geared up for skiing except us. The information at the base station says its -12 degrees up there... hmm... It was such a magnificent sight up there!! From the swiss alps, italian alps to the french alps.. all covered snow-covered with the tip of the peaks jutting above the clouds. The glorious sunshine and falling snow... Was I in heaven? LoL. We would have liked to stay longer if we weren't freezing, especially the feet and the hands. Moreover at the altitude, even the mere climbing of a couple of flight of stairs left us panting like crazy.

BRUSSELS


Parted ways with my cousin at Lyon. She flew back to London while I went on my way to Brussels. Was supposed to only wait an hour before my train departs, but the most wonderful thing happened. My train was delayed! I was trying to find out what happened, but the staff didn't speak English. Train was to be delayed for an indeterminable time. Oh great! I waited and waited. Luckily, there's a kind samaritan who speaks English and told me that he's catching the same train and will let me know when there's any news (all announcements at the station's in French as well). After 2.5 hrs, the train finally arrived at the station. There had been some rail accident, hence the delay. Still can't believe how unlucky I can get.

Yet another day spent on the train when it finally pulled into Brussels at 1130pm. I don't have a map on me and the tourist office is closed. I asked for directions but was told to take a cab instead at that hour for my own safety. I ventured to the metro station, but when I saw the people there, gave me the creeps, I turned back and paid for the cab to my hostel.

Haven't been able to find a single-sex dorm and since it was only for a night, I booked myself in a mixed dorm. I so startled the guy who was sleeping in there when I went into the room. LoL. He was probably shocked at seeing a gal walk into the room? A fellow asian whom I later met up with again in Amsterdam.

I only spent half a day sightseeing in Brussels and buying chocolates. However, granted that I still had 3 days in Amsterdam, I didn't wanna lug too many boxes of chocs around, I bought quite little. =\

My unlucky streak with the train continues. There're trains that leave hourly for Amsterdam from Brussels and its a 3hr journey. I had just bought the ticket in time to catch the 239pm train. Just before the train was due at the station, the screen showed that the train's been cancelled!! Arrghh!! I found out about it because of the commotion going on. No announcements made (at least not in a language I understood). Found out from some others that the train was jus cancelled, no reason given. Gotta wait another hour for the next one... 2 Japanese ladies came up to me thinking I was Jap, asking me about the train. I explained using my broken Japanese. Then I spent the next hour at the station, chatting with them. I'm so lousy. I've practically forgotten whatever I had learnt. Such a let-down to my senseis. The older lady kept telling me to be very careful in Amsterdam because they were there 2 weeks ago and got pick-pocketed. Also, she said that I've got to be extra careful because I look like a Japanese who are the typical targets since Japanese are thought to be rich. I like lookin like a Japanese, but never thought it would be a bane. But they sure managed to convince me about how unsafe and scary Amsterdam is.

AMSTERDAM

The moment I got out of the train station, I felt overwhelmed! It was so crowded!! Since it was already past 7pm, I quickly headed in search for my hostel which purportedly was right next to the red-light district. There were 2 Sri-Lankans with me because this couple had headed to Amsterdam without bookin their lodgin and given that it was a Saturday, it was near to impossible to find a reasonably priced hotel room, and they wanted to try their luck at the hostel I was staying at.

There were many Malaysians stayin in the same room as me. They all studied in UK. But strangely, I ended up finding company with 2 gals from Taiwan instead of the Malaysians, though there were 2 of them who were very nice as well. Very good practice session for my Mandarin, which has turned very rusty.

In a day, I managed to cover the museums I wanted to visit and also walked around the central area of the city. To this I thought, I'm going to be really bored over the next 2 days! I was initially afraid to venture into the red light district on my own, much less after dark. But got some disappointing news that made dampened my moods drastically and usually, I become very bold when I'm in a bad mood. Headed out of hostel and sat down at some random street side bar for a drink on my own. Then I walked into the red light district. To my dismay, it wasn't interesting at all. Just prostitutes standing behind the 'windows' waiting for business. The street was jam-packed with tourists. Really nothing so dangerous about it. And with all those scantily-clad women to look at, no one would come bother you at all. Of course, I didn't head into the dark alleys. Perhaps it was a different story in there, I ain't sure. Not daring to that extent.

The next morning, I visited all the markets in the city and burnt a huge hole in my pockets. Had to drag myself away from the markets because I was running dangerously low on euros. Its a blessing the markets don't accept credit cards. LoL.

Spent the afternoon at the Keukernhof Gardens, about an hour from Amsterdam. I love this place!! Just breathing in the fresh air makes you feel so good! Not forgetting the breathtaking sight of the colorful flowers! It was a pity I only found out about being able to bike out to the various fields instead of staying put in the park at the end of the day. Its a really nice place to sit back and relax with a cuppa, especially with the splendid weather.

I also paid a visit to the windmills the next morning. But the skies were overcast and it was cold. Nonetheless, the little town I went to was pretty and filled with tourists. Its good to travel in spring when the flowers bloom. Makes everywhere a pretty sight.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After being alone for 4 nights, its time to return to the comforts of my cousin's apartment in London. These 5 days have been interesting, mainly contributed by the different people I met and spoke to along the way.

There's so much to see, learn and experience from every trip. These new experiences also makes you ponder long and hard over certain issues and look at things from a different light.

Going to fly back to Singapore in a couple of hours. Though I hate for my trip to end, but I really, really miss the people back home.

No comments: