Wednesday, September 06, 2006

work-life 'IN'-balance

I feel burnt-out... it has only been a month from the 2 weeks break I took...

I would love to have work-life balance. However, in working towards achieving that, I have been sacrificing my rest and sleep time, to the extent that I know my body can't hold out much longer. I'm feeling extremely extremely tired, concentration span is short and absorbtion level low.

Right now, there's so much that I want to do!! Of course, the main thing is working at making my way up the corporate ladder (I've just only taken the 1st baby step out). This requires me to study, and man, its a TORTURE to work and study at the same time when a typical work day lasts 12 hours. Then comes my interests of dance, music, and Japanese, followed by my search for God. Not forgetting the need to spend time with family and friends.

Mon, Thurs and Sat are set aside for classes. Fri evenings for family and friends (which is soooo insufficient). That leaves me with Tues and Wed to put in longer hours at work to make up for the other days and Sun for studying. Where is my rest day???

For my interests in dance, music and Jap, if I don't pick them up now, I know I'll never do it later on in life. I don't want to come to a day where I look back and regret not having pursued the things which I would like to. I only have myself to blame for having such varied interests. If I only had 1 sole interest, then life would be so much easier. lol.

I actually tell myself to hang in there for 3 yrs because I've planned my escape route 3 years down. lol. That is when I'll quit and go back to full time studying. Not that I enjoy studying (flunked 2 exams tis yr already!!), but it'll allow me to lead a slower-paced life for 2 years. I am fortunate to have this option because of a supportive brother (but will have to exhibit more persuasion skills on my mum) and this is perhaps the only thought that is keeping me going right now. And in search of the slower-pace of life, I am actually looking to study in Australia (oso because its more affordable) instead of the US.

Work-life balance - why is it so unachievable?

Off to dreamlandzzzz...

No comments: